OPTICAL VECTOR ANALYZER
|Agency:||Department of the Army|
|Level of Government:||Federal|
|Posted Date:||Oct 3, 2017|
Solicitation Number :
Notice Type :
Justification and Approval (J&A)
J&A Statutory Authority :
FAR 6.302-1 - Only one responsible source (except brand name)
Contract Award Date :
September 22, 2017
Contract Award Number :
Added: Oct 03, 2017 10:10 amJUSTIFICATION REVIEW DOCUMENT
FAR PART 13 SIMPLIFIED ACQUISITION JUSTIFICATION AND APPROVAL FOR OTHER THAN
FULL AND OPEN COMPETITION
Supply/Service: One (1) Optical Vector Analyzer (OVA)
Authority: 41 U.S.C. 1901(e)(2), implemented by FAR 13.501(a) -- Only One Responsible Source and No Other Supplies or Services Will Satisfy Agency Requirements.
Reviews: I have reviewed this justification and find it adequate to support other than full and open competition.
1b. Requiring Activity: The United States (U.S.) Army Research Laboratory (ARL), Computational & Information Sciences Directorate (CISD), Network Sciences Division (NSD), Tactical Network Assurance Branch (RDRL-CIN-T), 2800 Powder Mill
2. Description of Action: RDRL-CIN-T requests a Firm-Fixed-Price (FFP) Contract with Luna Technologies Inc. (301 1st Street SW Suite 200, Roanoke, Virginia, 24016-4962, United States). The Government projects award for September 2017 and fiscal year (FY) 2017 Research, Development, Test, and Evaluation (RDT&E) funds will be used.
? An acquisition plan is not required because this procurement does not meet the threshold at Defense Federal Acquisition Regulation Supplement 207.103(d)(i)(B) and is not a cost reimbursement type contract (FAR 16.301- 3(a)(2)).
3. Description of Supplies/Services:
An Optical Vector Analyzer (OVA) is required to perform a complete characterization of all parameters of any single-mode fiber optical component in a single scan. In order to do this, the OVA must perform a complete vector measurement of the linear transfer function of the fiber optic device under test (DUT). The OVA is required to efficiently test all operational parameters of the existing Government-owned fiber optics equipment operated by the NSD Quantum Networks research group in order to develop critically needed Quantum Information Science technologies within several existing research programs.
Quantity Part Number Product Description Price
NSD requires an OVA from Luna Innovations Incorporated. The OVA is required to rapidly and efficiently test all operational parameters of the existing Government-owned fiber optics equipment operated by the NSD Quantum Networks research group in order to develop critically needed Quantum Information Science technologies within two (2) existing research programs: (1) the ARL Center for Distributed Quantum Information (CDQI) and (2) the Quantum Science and Engineering Program (QSEP) funded by the Office of the Seretary of Defense (OSD). Technologies developed at ARL within the framework of these two (2) programs will enable secure tamper-resistant quantum communications for the Warfighter. The required OVA will enable more technologically advanced and efficient measurement and analysis from ARL quantum experimental setups far beyond current capabilities. Note however that without the required OVA, research in Quantum Information Science technologies will be significantly restricted and delayed, virtually curtailing the performance of key research and development (R&D) activities at ARL. Specifically, the lack of characterization of already-owned equipment will result in measurement uncertainties and errors which are detrimental to virtually all R&D activities performed by the NSD Quantum Networks group.
6. Efforts to Obtain Competition: Effective competition is not anticipated for this procurement based on the market research performed. Based on the results of the market research performed, along with the negative response to the Sources Sought
7. Actions to Increase Competition: This requirement is for the one-time purchase of fiber optic test and measurement equipment which can be used to determine the aforementioned parameters. It is not anticipated that these supplies will be recurring requirements. However, ARL will continually seek to explore the market to increase competition by attending conferences/exhibitions, examining trade journals, conducting World Wide Web (WWW) research and through open discussion with industry experts should the need arise in the future for fiber optic test equipment with different capabilities.
8. Market Research: Extensive market research was conducted from January thru June of 2017 by REDACTED. Throughout his career in academia, private industry, and the Government, REDACTED has kept abreast of the latest technology developments and State-of-the-Art Advancements in the industry. REDACTED researched specifications via online searches, email correspondences and frequent phone calls with Dr. Michael Sumetsky, a SME at the Aston Institute of Photonic Technologies in the UK. The websites of the following manufacturers were visited:
Luna Technologies, Inc. (http://lunainc.com/),
The specifications required by NSD are the following: wavelength resolution and accuracy less than (<) 2 picometre (pm), insertion loss and return loss dynamic range greater than (>) 60 decibels (dB), IL and RL accuracy < .2 dB, IL and RL resolution < .1 dB, PDL extinction ratio > 40 dB, PDL accuracy < .05 dB, optical phase error < .01 radians, GD range > 5 nanoseconds (ns), GD accuracy < .2 picoseconds (ps), GD loss range > 50 dB, CD accuracy < 10 ps/nm, PMD range > 5 ns, PMD accuracy < .1 ps, PMD loss range > 40 dB, second order PMD accuracy < 10 ps, and scan speed < 5 seconds (s). In addition, the measurement device must also be able to measure all of the parameters with a single scan as detailed in the previous paragraph. The proposed Luna OVA is the only device on the market which can achieve all of the required specifications with a single scan using one (1) measurement device.
Furthermore, market research confirmed that Luna Technologies, Inc. is the sole distributor of their products. There are no authorized re-sellers of Luna products.
a. Procurement History: N/A, , there is no procurement history as this is a first time buy.
11. Technical Certification: I certify that the supporting data under my cognizance which are included in the justification are accurate and complete to the best of my knowledge and belief.
Signer's Title: Physical Scientist
Signer's Title: Acting Division Chief
13. Fair and Reasonable Cost Determination: I hereby determine that the anticipated cost or price to the Government for this contract action will be fair and reasonable.
This determination will be made using the following:
As a part of this basis, certified cost or pricing data:
Prices that will be agreed upon are based on adequate price competition.
Prices that will be agreed upon are based on prices set by law or regulation.
X A commercial item is being acquired.
A waiver has been granted by the head of the contracting activity (HCA) in accordance with DFARS PGI 215.403-1.
The contract action is a modification to a contract or subcontract for commercial item(s).
X The estimated cost of the contract action is less than the threshold for certified cost or pricing data.
Please consult the list of document viewers if you cannot open a file.
A03 - REDACTED SIMPLIFIED ACQUISITION SOLE SOURCE JUSTIFICATION
Other (Draft RFPs/RFIs, Responses to Questions, etc..)
A03 - REDACTED SIMPLIFIED ACQUISITION SOLE SOURCE JUSTIFICATION
October 3, 2017
A03_-_Redacted_Simplified_Acquisition_Sole_Source_Ju... (220.25 Kb)
Description: A03 - REDACTED SIMPLIFIED ACQUISITION SOLE SOURCE JUSTIFICATION
Contracting Office Address :
2800 POWDER MILL RD
ADELPHI , Maryland 20783-1197
Place of Performance :
United States Army Research Laboratory (ARL)
Adelphi, Maryland 20783
Primary Point of Contact. :
Joseph M. Dellinger,
|Aug 14, 2017||[Sources Sought] OPTICAL VECTOR ANALYZER (OVA)|
|Aug 21, 2017||[Presolicitation] NOTICE OF INTENT TO SOLE SOURCE One (1) Optical Vector Analyzer (OVA)|
|Dec 7, 2017||[Award Notice] OPTICAL VECTOR ANALYZER|
TRY FOR FREE
Not a USAOPPS Member Yet?