D--Telecare Record Manager (TRM) Plus - VISN 7 (FY18 10/1)
|Agency:||Department of Veterans Affairs|
|Level of Government:||Federal|
|Posted Date:||Oct 3, 2017|
Solicitation Number :
Notice Type :
Contract Award Date :
October 1, 2017
Contract Award Number :
Contract Award Dollar Amount :
Contractor Awarded DUNS :
Contractor Awardee :
GMC TEK, LLC;211 CHURCH ST SE STE 115-A;LEESBURG;VA;20175
Added: Oct 03, 2017 9:20 amVISN 7 and 8 Telecare Record Manager (TRM) /
Triage Expert Dual Purpose Tier 3 Software Renewal
2 of 6
Control Number: TAC-18-45283
FOR AN EXCEPTION TO FAIR OPPORTUNITY
1. Contracting Activity: Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)
Office of Acquisition Operations
Technology Acquisition Center
23 Christopher Way
Eatontown, New Jersey 07724
2. Description of Action: The proposed action is for a firm-fixed price delivery order
issued under the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) Solutions for Enterprise-Wide Procurement (SEWP) V Governmentwide Acquisition Contract (GWAC) limited to authorized resellers for TeleCare Record Manager (TRM) Plus and Triage Expert Dual Purpose Tier 3 (TEDP-Tier 3) software licenses and support renewals for Veterans Integrated Service Network (VISN) 7 and 8.
3. Description of the Supplies or Services: The proposed software renewal will provide VISN 7 and 8 with continued use of its 24 existing TeleCare Record Manager (TRM) Plus and Triage Expert Dual Purpose Tier 3 (TEDP-Tier 3) software licenses and support, which are highly specialized software applications used by VISN 7 and 8 Telecare staff to provide telephone triage and informational services to Veterans, thereby allowing VA to comply with Veterans Health Administration (VHA) Directive 2007-033 for 24/7 access to medical advice. TRM Plus is a complete telephone liaison care management software solution that provides access to telephone treatment protocols to update and organize information from different categories of patient calls. TEDP-Tier 3 is a clinical software application used by nurses who provide telephone triage services to Veterans. TEDP-Tier 3 supports nurse clinical decision making by systematically assessing a Veteran's symptoms through the use of electronic algorithms with branching clinical logic, while providing reference health education information via a clinical library during the process. TEDP-Tier 3 allows the nursing triage staff to identify emergencies, and reduces unnecessary clinic visits. This information is then integrated with the patient s actual health record. The TRM Plus and TEDP-Tier 3 software are currently installed on triage systems used throughout VISN 7 and 8. The triage systems that are currently fielded use this software and allow users to create notes for registered and non-registered patients and have extensive reporting tools. Patients are able to call VISN 7 and 8 facilities and speak to VA representatives who are able to track and route calls for appropriate action while keeping a record of these contacts which are then stored within the patient s healthcare record through the existing Veterans Health Information Systems and Technology Architecture (VistA) and Computerized Patient Record System (CPRS) graphical user interface system. Additionally, the telephone triage system provides the support described and also includes a series of VA designed business rules which vary by clinical department and are applied during each triage encounter. There are also national business rules incorporated into the TRM Plus Software. Business rules are developed nationally for the telephone triage product and apply to all VA medical facilities. After beta testing several years ago, it was determined that these products would be used nationally by VHA medical facilities. VHA has integrated this software into both its computer hardware and clinical software environments. Both Vista and CPRS reside on the currently fielded triage systems. Documentation is automatically created in the background during the triage process and saved as a triage encounter record. The proposed effort shall also provide for support for TRM Plus and TEDP-Tier 3 during the 12-month period of performance to ensure the software remains operational. This support includes patches, bug fixes and maintenance that will require a source to have access to both brands of software. The total estimated price of this proposed action is . The period of performance is 12 months from October 1, 2017 through September 30, 2018.
4. Statutory Authority: The statutory authority permitting an exception to fair opportunity is 41 U.S.C. 4106(c)(2) as implemented by Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) 16.505(b)(2)(i)(B) entitled, Only one awardee is capable of providing the supplies or services required at the level of quality required because the supplies or services ordered are unique or highly specialized.
5. Rationale Supporting Use of Authority Cited Above: Based upon continued market research, as described in section 8 of this document, it is determined that limited competition is available among authorized resellers of TRM Plus and TEDP Tier 3 software license and support renewals. TRM Plus Software, which is manufactured by Document Storage Solutions, Inc. (DSS), has been used within VISN 7 and 8 since 2001. The TRM Plus and TEPD-Tier 3 software is the only software that meets all of VA s interoperability and compatibility requirements. Specifically, both TRM Plus and TEDP-Tier 3 software are an enhanced base-line commercial-off-the-shelf software product that VA information technology staff and VHA clinical staff have used to provide a custom VHA nursing telephone liaison care management system commonly referred to as the VHA Clinical Nursing Telephone Triage System. TRM Plus and TEDP-Tier 3 software permits the user to access administrative and clinical information in the Veteran medical record known as the CPRS while launching the VHG Plus application should clinical algorithms be needed to evaluate the Veteran caller. TRM Plus and TEDP-Tier 3 software is the only software that has the ability to interface with both VistA and CPRS and meet VAs interoperability and compatibility requirements of evaluating and updating patient record data. VistA and CPRS are currently only coded to work with TRM Plus and TEDP-Tier 3 software which are embedded together. Use of any other software would result in extensive duplicated efforts to recode and reconfigure the existing triage systems that use VistA and CPRS. This would result in extensive duplicated costs and delivery delays that would not be recuperated through competition. The triage system is fully integrated into the VistA CPRS system utilizing this software. VA has many years invested in the fine-tuning of these software products to meet the current and ongoing architecture needs of VA. To work with another manufacturer s product to achieve the current level of sophistication of this software would require extensive rework and high level programing along with system design expertise to customize and retrofit another software product to meet the needs currently met by the existing software products which have been used for the past 16 years.
VA requires one source to provide the integrated software and support. This effort cannot be separated because the interactivity of both brands working together constitutes the product whole which is a comprehensive triage and information management system.
6. Efforts to Obtain Competition: Market research was conducted, details of which are in the market research section of this document. In accordance with FAR 5.301 and 16.505(b)(2)(ii)(D) the resulting contract award will be announced on the Federal Business Opportunities Page and this Justification for an Exception to Fair Opportunity will be made publicly available. In addition, this Justification for an Exception to Fair Opportunity will be posted on the NASA SEWP V website with the solicitation.
7. Actions to Increase Competition: In order to remove or overcome barriers to competition in future acquisitions for this requirement, the Government will continue to perform market research to determine if there are any new products or maintenance services available that will enable future requirements to be competed.
8. Market Research: The Government s technical experts have conducted research using internet searches looking for compatible electronic triage protocols that could be readily integrated with VistA and CPRS. It was determined that the dual products of TRM Plus and TEDP-Tier 3 are uniquely able to conform to VA s specified healthcare requirements that permit full and seamless integration with VistA and CPRS without significant development, configuration and associated testing. As of May 2017, no other manufacturer exists that has products that can meet the Government s requirement of working fully with VistA and CPRS without significant development, configuration and testing duplicating what VA has already completed and invested in as detailed in paragraph 5 above.
Additional market research was conducted by utilizing the National Aeronautics Space Administration (NASA) Solutions for Enterprise Wide Procurement (SEWP) V Governmentwide Acquisition Contract (GWAC) Provider Lookup tool that identified multiple GWAC holders capable of providing both TRM Plus and TEDP-Tier 3 license renewals and support.
9. Other Facts: None.
10. Technical and Requirements Certification: I certify that the supporting data under my cognizance, which are included in this justification, are accurate and complete to the best of my knowledge and belief.
VISN 8 Telcare Director Signature: ______________________
11. Fair and Reasonable Cost Determination: I hereby determine that the anticipated price to the Government for this contract action will be fair and reasonable based upon competition among NASA SEWP V GWAC holders who are authorized resellers of the required brand name Commvault Simpana Maintenance Support. Contracts awarded on NASA SEWP V GWAC include catalog prices that have already been determined to be fair and reasonable. Additionally, price analysis shall be conducted by comparing quotes to the Independent Government Cost Estimate.
Procuring Contracting Officer Signature: ______________________ 12. Procuring Contracting Officer Certification: I certify that this justification is accurate and complete to the best of my knowledge and belief. As this contract action does not exceed $700,000, the certification below required by FAR 16.505(b)(2)(ii)(C)(1) serves as approval.
Procuring Contracting Officer Signature: ______________________
Please consult the list of document viewers if you cannot open a file.
Other (Draft RFPs/RFIs, Responses to Questions, etc..)
October 3, 2017
Description: NNG15SC76B VA118-18-F-2242 NNG15SC76B VA118-18-F-2242_1.docx
Contracting Office Address :
Department of Veterans Affairs;Technology Acquisition Center;23 Christopher Way;Eatontown NJ 07724
Point of Contact(s) :
TRY FOR FREE
Not a USAOPPS Member Yet?